Koma, Kyoko (editor) & Barnskiene, Sigita/ Fujita, Keiki/ Gelunas, Arunas/ Honoré, Jean-Paul/ Onohara, Noriko/ Sprotte, Maik Hendrik (co-editors) (2008): The Image of Japan in Europe. Kaunas: Vytautas Magnus University,
"Thanks to the subvention of Toshiba International Foundation, we have organized the symposium “Image of Japan in Europe” as a space for discussion about the construction of Japan’s image with the researchers from different countries. On the 13th of October 2007, researchers were invited to share their knowledge at Vytautas Magnus University Japanese Studies Centre, established in 2000. It is situated in the building of the former Japanese consulate, where the famous Japanese diplomat Chiune Sugihara worked during the World War II and saved lives of thousands of Jewish people by issuing them transit visas to Japan.
The main aim of the symposium was to exchange academic knowledge and experience regarding Japan’s representation in different European countries, to detect and fill in possible gaps in Japan’s image creation that hinder successful intercultural communication between Japanese and European people. We are very satisfied that the presentations during the symposium could cover various aspects of Japan’s representation in European countries. As a result, we expect that the outcomes of this symposium will help to find means to improve the representation of Japan and its culture not only in Lithuania, but also in other European countries. In order to achieve this aim, we have invited researchers from different regions of Europe.
We have published the material of the symposium to make it available for the institutions conducting Japan-related research, as well as Japanrelated public institutions on the international level. Moreover, we aim at creating a network of researchers who work on the same topic and thus to make a contribution to the intercultural research between Europe and Japan."
Arvydas Ališauskas, Head of VMU Japanese Studies Centre
zum Inhalt / contents:
HISTORICAL FORMATION OF JAPAN’S IMAGE IN EUROPE:
- BÜTTNER, Thomas: Japanese Wartime Elites Through German Eyes.
- SPROTTE, Maik Hendrik: Between Admiration and Fear – the Construction of Japanese Otherness in the German Empire (1871–1918).
- BLOMBERG, Catharina: Isles of Gold or Police State – the Western View of Japan from Marco Polo to the Present.
JAPANESE IMAGE THROUGH BRANDING AND ART:
- ZYKAS, Aurelijus: Country Branding Strategies in Japan: The Strength and Trends of Brand Japan.
- GRENDAITE-VOSYLIENE, Greta: Corporeality and Contemporary Japanese Art as Presented in Europe.
JAPANESE IMAGE CREATION AND GENDER:
- IWATAKE Mikako: Differencing Body, Performing Race; Noriko Show in Finland.
- MACHIDA Junichi: From the Margins of Europe: Complex Images of Japan in Malta and the Wave of Globalization.
JAPANESE IMAGE CONSTRUCTION IN MASS MEDIA:
- KOMA Kyoko: Image of Japanese Women in Lithuanian Newspapers in 1995, 2000, 2005.
- BARANCOVAITE, Kristina: Construction of ‚Japanese Woman‘s‘ Image in Lithuanian Women’s Magazines.
- HONORÉ, Jean-Paul: The 147 Otakus. A Japanese Story. Stereotype, Information, and Fable in the Contemporary French Media.
- IKEDA Yoshiko: Image of Japanese Men in American Films from WW2 to the Present.
- ITO Yu: Exported Japan: on Japan’s Popular Culture Policy.
- ONOHARA Noriko: Whom do You Dress up for? Gothic Lolita Fashion in Japan.
- HATADA Koichi: Registered Tangible Cultural Properties of Japan and their Utilization for Cultural Activities: The Case of Hatada Family House.